Estonian passports and ID cards

The most convenient and cheapest way to renew your documents is at the self-service portal (in Russian) (in English).

  • ID card can be ordered by post even if the previous one is already expired
  • You can also apply for a new passport by post directly from the Estonian Police and Boarder Guard Board if less than 5 years have passed since taking of fingerprints and applying for the previous passport
  • Passports for children under 12 years of age can also be renewed by post as fingerprints are not taken from children under 12 years

In order to apply for your documents at the embassy you need to book an appointment over the phone +31 (0)70 302 9050.

The consular section is open at the following times:

  • Tuesday 10:00 – 13:00
  • Wednesday 13:00 – 16:00
  • Thursday 10:00 – 13:00

On what occasions do I have to book an appointment and come to the Embassy to apply for documents?

  • Your old passport is expired and you need to get your fingerprints taken at the Embassy
  • Your child has reached 12 years of age and therefore needs to give fingerprints for the passport
  • You request someone else to pick up your passport / ID card on your behalf. A written consent can only be given at the Embassy

NB! Children under 12 years do not have to come to the embassy in person, one of the parents can submit the application on behalf of the child

Your documents will then be sent to Embassy in The Hague. Our Honorary Consuls in Zwolle and Amsterdam can also issue passports and ID cards.

You will need the following documents to apply for a passport / ID card at the Embassy:

  • Standard application form (in english, in estonianin russian)
  • ATTENTION! Only a digital photo is accepted. An applicants digital photo should be sent by email to (The Police and Border Guard Board) (photo requirements) Applicants name and the personal ID code/date of birth should be added to the email.
  • In case of a child’s passport application: other parent’s written consent
  • In case of change of name: a copy of your spouse’s passport and your Marriage Certificate
  • Pay the state fee 

When applying for the first ever passport for your child you will also need:

When applying for the first ever Estonian passport for an adult you will need documents proving that an applicant is an Estonian citizen.

If you have acquired Estonian citizenship by birth:

  • an original of a document proving that you are an Estonian citizen
  • an original of a document indicating that at least one of your parents is an Estonian citizen, and verification documents to prove that you are descended from a parent who is an Estonian citizen

If you have acquired Estonian citizenship by naturalisation:

  • a certificate of citizenship

Documents referring to Estonian citizenship for the period from 1918 to 1940 can be obtained from:

  • Registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages (birth certificates, certificates of marriage and divorce, certificates on changing names, etc.);
  • the National Archives (certificates of Defence Forces, option certificates, school- leaving certificates, documents verifying the possession of real estate or working in the public service, etc.)